Download free software, buy music online, sign up for a service, and you'll usually be expected to click your agreement to a long, obscure license. Probably you don't even bother to read it. But courts have ruled that those things are legally binding, and the licensor may make significant claims in them against you -- possibly claiming rights to the content you post, or declaring intent to mess with your software and settings, or sometimes even telling you they can come into your house and snoop in your computer!
I don't have the time or inclination to go exhaustively through all the licenses that are out there. Even if I could make this a full-time job, one person without legal training (or even with) couldn't do it. But by providing information about ugly features in a few licenses, I may help to keep people better informed, and maybe even (though this is wildly ambitious) occasionally to get companies to be a little less aggressive in their terms.
There might be a post a week here on the average, depending on how much time I have and what licenses I learn about. Add the RSS feed to your favorite reader, and stick around to see what I find.
Incidentally, I wouldn't be averse to a little publicity. If you want to link to this blog, go right ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment